Sports Writer, Clayton Grad, Returns to Wydown

Do you want to be a writer for a newspaper? Well, from a young age, writer for the St. Louis Post Dispatch, Benjamin Hochman, knew that he wanted to. From the day that Hochman walked into the newspaper room at Clayton High School, he knew that that was what he was going to do for the rest of his life. 

Hochman’s story starts as a 9th grader at Clayton High School. Christopher Holmes was the advisor for the newspaper. Hochman walked in and said that he wanted to be on the staff. Holmes quickly responded to him saying that they didn’t let freshmen on the staff. Hochman contemplated that for a moment and responded by saying that this is what he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

Hochman’s story only grows from there. He stayed on the newspaper staff the rest of high school, then went to Mizzou to study journalism and history. Then he worked in New Orleans for their newspaper. After that, he went to Colorado to work for the Denver Post. 

In Colorado, he realized that he didn’t want to work there anymore. He wanted to go back to his roots. He left Denver to come and work for the Post-Dispatch. He tried out for the job and got it. 

After I interviewed him at Wydown, I found out that if you want to be a writer, you need to read. This may sound weird but from what Hochman said, reading articles exposes your brain to different types of writing and it strengthens your brain like weights. The more you read, the more your brain grows.

Overall, Hochman has gone from working on a high-school staff to newspapers in three major cities in the country. If you would like to read his articles, click here

If you would like to listen to the full interview, click here

Photo by Kari Shea on Unsplash